Labels

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Appreciating Texture: Crosshatch Print Shorts

This fabric was love at first sight while browsing through the aisles of Fabric Planet. It is a pretty sturdy, stretchy woven fabric, so the idea of shorts instantly came to mind. The print is similar to the one I used for my matching skirt and top, but much more dramatic. Obviously I have a thing for black and white line patterns, but what really struck me about this particular fabric was the texture. All the black lines stick out a little from the white.

As someone who loves neutrals and simple silhouettes, it can be easy to accidentally create a bunch of "boring" garments. Having some basics in really simple shapes and colors is an important part of any wardrobe, but too many can create a monotonous closet. Although I would not call this print boring, but I already made two items in a very similar print style, so the texture helps it stand out among my other clothes. Using fabrics with an interesting texture are an excellent way to add unique character to your pieces while staying true to your atheistic.

I used Simplicity 1371, a Cynthia Rowley pattern which I was drawn to by the pockets. It was fairly easy to put together, but the fit was very off for me. I had to make the rise about two inches shorter (probably could have taken off another inch), and if I were to do it again, I would make the waist slightly bigger and the rest slightly more fitted. I have never graded sizes before, so that will be an adventure for another day.


Foot note: (This is a note about my shoes, see what I did there?) These are one of my favorite shoes of the summer (spring, fall, and LA winter). They are amazingly comfortable with the thick block heel and just the right height. I had been looking around for this popular style for awhile, but most had much higher heels that I knew I would not be able to wear often. They did take some breaking in, but overall not that bad. The best part is they were extremely affordable from Payless Shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment