Labels

Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Magic of a Matching Set


I love dresses, and a big part of that love is due to the one-and-done aspect of getting dressed. You pick one item of clothing and don't have to mess with color coordination or proportion issues of adding a top or bottom. One thing you do lose in a dress is the flexibility to mix and match with other items  when you're feeling less lazy (sometimes you can layer with a dress but this takes way more effort in my opinion). The answer to this conundrum? Matching sets. You already have a top and bottom that match perfectly in color and proportion, so you can throw it on without thinking about it, but you maintain the flexibility to pair each piece with different items.


I love this print... now, but it had to grow on me at first. I was originally planning on making this outfit with and black and white gingham, but I couldn't find it in the right check size, so I "settled" for this also linear print I found at Joann's. I am amazingly happy with it though, this was just the print I needed. I made the top using  pattern M6968 (it is out of print, but you can find it on Etsy or Ebay). I had to make a few adjustments because it originally came out too big, and when I make it again, I plan to make the darts extend higher as the bust area is still a little too roomy. For the skirt, I just made a simple circle skirt. I intended to make it a flat waistband with a zipper but I cut the center circle too big, so I used elastic instead. There are so many circle skirt tutorials, no need for me to reinvent the wheel. Here is a good one on Merrick's Art.

Don't want to DIY? I linked similar sets at the end of this post.

For more casual days, extra windy weather, or activities that just don't allow for a skirt, the top easily pairs with some high waisted cut offs, or pants. My favorite is to wear it with these high waisted Levi shorts and vintage leather belt (thanks mom ).



Having so many options is especially useful if you have a regular office job. I love wearing the pieces together for a girly, fun weekend outfit, but this would not work at the office.  Fortunately, the skirt is a very work friendly piece, so I can pair it with a button up or other nice blouse for work.





No comments:

Post a Comment